For the BEST Baked Potatoes, you will need:
Potatoes (I don't know how many...how many people are you feeding, and how many potatoes will each person eat?)
Salt: A fair amount... (separated)
Olive Oil: Put some in the bottom of a shallow bowl. If you need more, you can add more. Quit getting so worked up about measurements, they're baked potatoes for crying out loud!
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2) Scrub your potatoes. Back in the day, I learned a trick from a really neat lady named Nurse Nancy. She would throw all the potatoes in the sink, fill it will cold water (like ice cold) and dump a bunch of salt in. Because we were using so many potatoes we would just mix them up and the salt did our scrubbing for us. I have found that this is less successful if you are only using a few potatoes (they don't rub against eachother in the sink). In any case, wash the dirt off your taters.
3) Dry your potatoes. Not sure why. Just do it.
4) Stab your potatoes 2-3 times with a fork or a knife. Be careful. It is frustrating to stab yourself with a fork. I used to stab before I dried, but those suckers are a little slippery. Maybe that's why we have to dry the potato.
5) Now, roll your taters in tthat shallow bowl of olive oil, coat them and set aside on a cookie sheet. Roll the rest of your taters in the oil and add to the cookie sheet.
6) Bunch them all up together in the middle of the cookie sheet. Sprinkle salt liberally. Flip potatoes over. Sprinkle salt liberally.
7) Now, you can remove them from the pan and place on oven rack and bake. I did this the first time and put the cookie sheet on the bottom of the oven to catch dripping oil. This time I just spread them out and left them on the pan, because I don't think it will hurt anything. Leave them in the oven until they are done, about an hour.
The end result is a delicious potato that is so good, I can eat without adding any butter or sour cream. The skin puffs up and gets crispy and the generous coating of salt adds the perfect amount of flavor. Of course, when you do add butter and sour cream, it is extra super delicious.
Give'em a try and let me know what you think.