sunset_2

sunset_2

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The General Store - Spring Green, WI



Dear blog readers (Mom & my cat),

I apologize for not posting yesterday.  "The man" had me chained to my computer preparing for a morning meeting.  I did however, manage to sneak out at lunch and meet Jamey, a coworker, to do a computer swap.  We decided to meet in the middle and have lunch.  Fortunately for me, Spring Green is the middle (yess!). 

I decided that we should go to The General Store.  The General Store defines themselves on their website as:
"A small business located in Spring Green, Wisconsin, featuring excellent coffees, exciting home-style ethnic cooking, micro brews, natural & gourmet groceries and an original selection of jewelry, cards, clothing, house wares, toys, vitamins, and natural cosmetics all in a converted cheese warehouse."

I couldn't have said it better, literally, that's why I ripped the verbiage from their website. 


We ordered at the counter from a small but robust menu, featuring lots of local friendly food items, and grabbed our "flag" to take to our table so the server would know what we ordered.  I couldn't help but let a quiet "Yesssss" slip out when we got Jamaica. 




I ordered an Italian sandwich and a Diet Coke.  The food came fast, and was delicous.  I don't know who made that baguette, but it was awesome.



Jamey ordered a chicken chipotle with bacon, you can see part of it in the picture below.  I was trying not to creep him out (I do work with the guy) and not get too close to his food.  He said it was a bit spicy, but just the right amount of heat.  We both appreciated the REAL(I believe local) greens instead of  iceberg like most joints offer. 




That concludes this visit to The General Store, they have many more wonderful things to explore there, but that will have to be for another day.  In any case, I strongly recommend visiting them for a luncheon.  If you are not in the Spring Green area, try out a local mom and pop joint in your area and let me know how it was!



 


2 comments:

  1. Oh I MISS the General store!!!! I always thought they had terrific food and coffee. By the way I read your blog too :) and I love the new simplifying/homesteading theme…looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Niha, You just made me laugh out loud, I'm glad you are enjoying the blog, I'm trying to post everyday, just something everyday. I read yours as well :) Hope you're getting settled into your new home alright.

    ReplyDelete