sunset_2

sunset_2

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Simple Cracker Recipe




I love Crackers, well, I love dips and cheeses and since these things seem to work out better with a wafery vehicle, and I'm poor, I've started making my own crackers. 

This keeps me from having to buy preservative packed crackers at the store for a whopping $3.00/box.  It also allows me to impress my friends with more than just the awesome dips I make.  Last time I made them, hubby doubted that I ACTUALLY made them and didn't buy them from the store.  To make your own simple crackers you only need 4 ingredients, that's right 4 ingredients!  Wow!  Seems like last time I read the back of a cracker box, they listed more than 4....

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour (i use a blend of whole grain and all purpose)
1/4 tsp salt
4 TBSP softened butter (real butter, expensive but worth every penny)
up to 1 cup of milk

Using a medium size mixing bowl, mix your flours with your salt. Then cut in butter. Some people use a food processor for this step, but I am poor and don't have one so I use a fork. You want the texture to resemble bread crumbs. Start with 2 T and work your way up to 4 if need be. Slowly add your milk until your dough comes together, it should not be sticky, if it is add some more flour.

Then divide your dough into two equal parts.  Place on parchment paper and let rest for 10 minutes.  During this time you can clean up your dishes you've dirtied and begin preheating your oven.  



Once the dough has rested you can roll it out. I take the parchment paper off the pan to do this. It should be paper-thin and a perfect square... or not.  I am not detail oriented enough for this step. 
Then cut your crackers using a pizza cutter
...or fancy pastry tool you don't know the name of...
Then prick each cracker a couple times with a fork (I own real forks I swear). 

Move the crackers back in the pan and bake on 300 - 350 (depending on thickness of cracker) until they are golden brown. 

They should look something like this!  Enjoy with some good local cheese or homemade dip.  Once you master the recipe try adding herbs, seeds, and cheeses to your crackers for a more flavorful result. 

consolidated
Directions:
Using a medium size mixing bowl, mix your flours with your salt.  Then cut in butter.  Some people use a food processor for this step, but I am poor and don't have one so I use a fork.  You want the texture to resemble bread crumbs.  Start with 2 T and work your way up to 4 if need be.  Slowly add your milk until your dough comes together, it should not be sticky, if it is add some more flour.  Once your dough has reached desired consistency divide into two pieces.  Preheat your oven and allow dough to rest for 10 minutes.  Roll dough out so it is paper thin.  It doesn't have to pit the pan perfectly unless you are super detail oriented.  I am not.  Using a pizza cutter, sharp knife or pastry tool, cut crackers into small squarish shapes.  Prick each cracker with a fork a couple times.  Pop in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.   Store in an airtight container.  Later, when you've mastered the recipe, add herbs, seeds, or cheese to your dough for a more flavorful cracker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment