sunset_2

sunset_2

Monday, January 23, 2012

Nurse Nancy's Apple Crisp


During my teenage years working at a local horse camp, I took to helping in the kitchen.  It was extra cash, I enjoyed it, was pretty good at it, and hey I got to eat too! 

"Nurse Nancy" was the camp nurse, whose family had started the camp.  She taught me a lot about cooking and a lot about life.

I now know why not to pick up a hitch-hiker. I can hear her now saying "Kels, if they don't have a mother or a brother or a friend that is willing to come get them, why would you want them in your car?"

I know that drinking insane amounts of diet coke to keep your sanity is worth it, and that some people you meet in life are just punks and it's okay if everyone thinks you're a little nuts. 

I also know the benefits of cooking with REAL butter.  If all we had on hand was margarine, Nancy would grab a $20 out of her wallet and proclaim "Kels, we need butter!  And DIET COKE (with lime).  Off I'd go down the hill to the Mazo Market to get our stash of real butter and diet coke. 

Diet Coke really has nothing to do with this blog, but butter does. 

INGREDIENTS:
In order to make Nurse Nancy's Apple Crisp (this is as I remember it, so I'm sure it doesn't pay homage to her ACTUAL recipe) you will need:

4-5 apples, peeled and diced or one can of apple pie filling
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar (I use the dark stuff)
1/2 c. quick oats
1/2 c. butter softened (REAL butter)


Dice your apples, it's easier than slicing them, easier to eat and will cook faster and more evenly. 
Preheat your oven at this time.

Put your apples in the bottom of an ungreased 8x8 baking pan.

Mix dry ingredients together with your hand or a fork, add butter.   


Mix butter in with a fork (don't ask me why I own a green baby fork), until it's crumbly.


Sprinkle crumbly mixture over apples evenly, put it in the oven. 


Weird how the smell of warm apple crisp will bring people into your kitchen....

While the crisp bakes talk to your husband about what he did today. 

After 30 minutes (or when apples are tender) pull your crisp out of the oven to cool.  Yours may not be as dark as mine, as I used dark brown sugar.

Spoon onto plate and add a few plops of cool whip.  Enjoy!

consolidated
DIRECTIONS:
Peel and dice your apples, then preheat to 350 F.  In an ungreased 8 inch square pan, spread the apples.  In a separate bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and quick oats.  Stir in the butter with a fork.  Once crumbly, spread over the apples and bake for about 30 minutes, until apple smell starts wafting through the house.  If you used canned apples (like we did at camp), it may not take quite 30 minutes.

Remove from oven, top with cool whip and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment